Aims and Objectives of Velo-city Global
The primary goal of the conference is bringing politicians, government officials and city staff, professionals, businesses, academics, and bicycle user representatives to share best practices for encouraging cycling as a means of transport.
Other important aims are to:
- Spread knowledge of quality, positive, evolving information about cycling and transport planning
- Provide valuable publicity for cities that have good cycling provision networks
- Encourage the recognition of cycling as an efficient, healthy, environmentally friendly means of transport and recreation
- Further the integration of cycling planning into transport and land-use planning, and other relevant sectors
- Bring together those actively involved from all relevant fields, so that they can have a profitable exchange of experience and expertise
- Seek involvement from all relevant stakeholders, including environment, health and business
The goal for Velo-city Global 2012 is to highlight Vancouver’s achievements as a cycling ‘starter’ city and bring the European cycling experience, with its fast growth as a mode of transportation to North America, the Pacific Rim countries and globally. The conference will provide a wide range of real-world examples of cycling as form of transportation with the benefits to the environment, personal health and economy.